Thursday, October 24, 2013

My favorite places on 3rd Street

When I first moved to LA, I moved to West L.A. Unless you are familiar with L.A, you probably have not even heard of West L.A. It is the area just west of the 405 but east of Santa Monica. It is a pretty unremarkable area which has alot of conveniences. It is close to the 405 and 10 freeways which allows you to get around in L.A. No matter where you live in West L.A., you are guaranteed to be in a 5 miles radius of at least 2 Trader Joes. The rent is comparatively cheap with could definitely be worse parking. Mild weather (I know, it is weird to discuss differences in weather in L.A but if you live in L.A. you know there are disparate temperatures depending on where you live) since you don't get the marine layer or the 100 degree weather of the valley.

During my last year of grad school, my roommate bought a house. She offered to let me move in with her which was super nice. Mostly because as a minimalist in everything except my closet, I actually didn't own any furniture except my bed. Though I did own the TV and the wine bar (with alcohol!), so I really just had the essentials. Although, she had wanted to stay in the West L.A. area, my former roommate's dream house ended up being in Crestview which is a tiny neighborhood adjacent to Beverlywood. I hardly ever ventured east of the 405, but as a decisive yet adventurous person I said yes to moving with her.

Although Angelenos are mobile people, they don't really venture outside of their neighborhood unless out of necessity. The traffic is that bad and the convenience of your neighborhood usually just wins out. It was good for me to live in another part of L.A. and I grew to really love it. Just north of Crestview is 3rd street which became one of my favorite L.A. areas. It is filled with various eateries and shopping. If you don't mind walking a few blocks, you can park in a residential neighborhood and don't have to worry about metered parking.

So after enough preamble, here are some of my favorite things on 3rd street:

Little Next Door I always think I'll try a different brunch place, but I really adore Little Next Door. The food is scrumptious, the croissants amazing, and the decor is super cute. I've also come here for dinner and dinner is also very good. A true gem amongst the brunch scene.

Shopaholic sample sales I found this store while walking to Jones's on 3rd (which I'm not going to review but it is an LA institution). The salespeople are friendly but not overwhelming. The clothes are super cute and definitely my style. As important, the prices are extremely reasonable. One of their hallmarks is the massive dressing room in the back, so it is definitely not for the shy person. Just make sure you wear cute underwear before you go there.

Robata Jinya The best ramen in L.A. is at Daikokuya but Little Tokyo is really out of the way for everyone who doesn't live in Little Tokyo. Robata Jinya is a very close second. The ramen has sublime flavor and the noodles are perfect.

Mendocino Farms Everyone told me the sandwiches from Mendocino Farms were amazing. So when I tried one, I obviously thought I was going to be disappointed. However, all the accolades are deserved. It is literally just perfection. To add to their amazing-ness, they procure their own soda line. So I had one of the best ginger ales in my life to go along with one of the best sandwiches of my life.

There are a couple other cute clothing stores on 3rd street. None are as expensive as you would think considering their proximity to Beverly Hills and Melrose. I would suggest having brunch and then checking out the shops. Then you can reward yourself with a dessert. I'm partial to Georgetown Cupcake, but there is also FonutsMagnolia BakeryLady M Cake Boutique, or even Jones's on 3rd. Then again, now that I think about it perhaps you should start with a baked good/coffee, shop, and then eat dinner. Either way, you really can't go wrong on 3rd Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment