Tuesday, July 9, 2013

4th of July in San Diego

It came to my attention this past weekend, I've actually been out of the country at least 3X for 4th of July. The reasoning behind this fact is super simple: it is an extra vacation day. Also I can't remember when was the last time I spent 4th of July in San Diego. Although the war of independence was fought on the East Coast, San Diego is a military town. Independence Day is deeply felt throughout the city.

My family decided we would have a family reunion this 4th of July. This was super exciting for various reasons. We were going to rent a beach house in Mission Beach, San Diego. Family from NYC, Texas, and Hawaii would travel to San Diego. There would be bbq-ing, alcohol consumption, working on tans, and just hanging out. Since I don't see most of my family even at Christmas, I was looking forward to this.

And it was so much fun!! Too much food, mostly meat. Though if you surf fish, there was alot of good fishing to be done. The house came with two kitchens which turned out to be necessary. Mostly to store all the caught fish (freezer) and beer (fridge). My cousin from NYC bought Patron to make margaritas. We laughed at him and decided to do shots with the Patron. We talked about growing up in San Diego. A truly wonderful place to be young but the time frame was also idyllic. My family truly appreciated the effort everyone made to make this happen. Then we talked about doing the beach house again next year.

We watched about three different sets of fireworks on 4th of July. The best were from Sea World. The weather was perfect which I only mention because there was a scorching heat wave the previous week (some of us spent the entire week at the beach house...). The no alcohol law on the beach does make a difference. Everyone was just chill. I never really hung out in Mission Beach when I was younger (I was more of Pacific Beach gal), but from now I will always prefer Mission over PB. It will always remind me of family.


No comments:

Post a Comment