Sunday, July 21, 2013

The ComicCon of it all

Since I grew up in San Diego, I basically grew up alongside ComicCon. I've gone only once, ~11 years ago. I bought tickets from a friend who has a booth every year. Mmm, I just realized he probably sells his extra tickets for huge profit these days. I used to be able to enter any "geek" conversation seamlessly. Now there is Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, The Hobbit, and a bunch of other things that completely elude me.

I have no idea when TV became a huge deal at the Con (which is what people who go to ComicCon call it). It must have started with Smallville (does anyone else remember the Superman TV series with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher?) But it seems like every TV show has a panel at the Con. There is also a huge movie presence at the Con which I assume started with comic book movies. Spiderman 2 remains one of my favorite movies ever. Of course it is, Peter Parker underwent a genetic mutation! Since the Con has a huge following, it makes sense for everything entertainment wise to preview there since so people are in one place. Then that begets even more people to attend Con which leads to more things being showcased there. It is almost impossible to get tickets for Con these days unless you attended the previous year and are willing to buy the 5 day pass. The Con is soooo huge, they debate whether or not they should move it to a different city. Even though I don't go to ComicCon (even getting into downtown San Diego the weekend of ComicCon is a huge hassle), I can't imagine ComicCon not in San Diego. Some things just go with the other.

Now onto the most important ComicCon stuff: the costumes. Even though it is in the middle of summer, the weather in San Diego is in the mid-70s. This allows people to be comfortable and imaginative with costuming. The best costumes are always group costumes. And that is what ComicCon is really about: where friends get together and talk/obsess about their favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment