Wednesday, February 26, 2014

I watched an entire 60 minutes episode. I am as surprised as you.

I found myself watching 60 minutes last Sunday. This was completely by accident: I was doing a mindless task and needed to watch/listen to something. What's on at 7pm on Sunday? Well, 60 minutes has been running at that particular time for 38 years.

My dad was a huge 60 minutes watcher, so I grew up watching 60 minutes. With its prominent newscasters Mike Wallace and Dan Rather, 60 minutes was entertaining, informative, and sometimes filled with intrigue. Pre-internet, it was hard to find unusual stories. More often than not, they were brought to you. 60 minutes built its reputation on aggressive journalism and sensational stories. It was also anchored by a cantankerous old man: Andy Rooney. I grew up without grandparents (I had none by the time I was 7), so I felt Andy was my own personal grandparent telling me how things were better in olden times and how present society/culture was just confusing. He had the bushiest eyebrows.

I haven't watched 60 minutes in years. With the advent of the internet, finding news stories is easy. As I grew older, I realized what I unconsciously liked most about 60 minutes in my early years. I prefer my news brought by a certain perspective: a grizzled, hardened, and truth-seeking perspective. With any type of journalism, it is hard for a journalist to withhold their own notions while reporting. The good know when to hold back their opinion. However, the best are those who slightly impart their knowledge while simultaneously drawing out their interviewee. When I have caught 60 minutes over the years, I've been disappointed with the stories, the journalists, and the reporting. They focused on too many stories in 60 minutes. The interviews were subpar. After hearing about the Benghazi debacle, my disappointment with 60 minutes just increased. The childhood luster of 60 minutes was definitely nonexistent.

So imagine my surprise when I was intrigued by an entire 60 minutes episode last Sunday. There were only 3 stories and each appealed to me. The first was a story about a shooting at a high school. Children should feel safe at school, but that is never the case these days. As was pointed out by this story, there are so many school shootings that perhaps this one didn't nationally register. I didn't remember it. The story revolves around the high school football coach who literally chases the shooter outside the school grounds. However, he is so traumatized by the deaths he wasn't able to prevent that he eventually has to the leave the high school he kept safe. The second story is about the best living art forger. I had never even heard of the guy! As a person who makes it a point to wander through museums, I found this story fascinating. The art forger, Wolfgang Beltracchi, claims some of his paintings still hang in prominent museums. Finally, the third story was an interview with Liam Neeson. This is the first interview which he discusses his wife's, the actress Natasha Richardson, accidental death. These days Liam Neeson is a preeminent action star, but he fully admits to keeping busy as a coping mechanism. It made my heart ache and I am grateful to him for sharing his story.

I watched the entire hour of 60 minutes and didn't once think to change the channel. The stories kept me intrigued with emotions ranging from sadness, complete disbelief, and empathy.  It was close to the 60 minutes I remember from my youth. Perhaps nostalgia will encourage me to watch another episode sometime soon.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up watching 60 Minutes too! My parents still watch it, and the sound of the ticking stopwatch is music to my ears. I should add it back to my viewing schedule. No more Benghazi bungling!

    ReplyDelete