Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Some thoughts about Bob Costas' eye

When I tuned into the Olympics Sunday night, I almost laughed when I saw Bob Costas' eye. Of course I had heard about it, but I hadn't seen it in action. Mostly I just couldn't believe he was valiantly trying to host the Olympics because his eyes were only going to get worse.

As a person who once had pinkeye and who knows quite a bit about vision, I can divulge some things about Costas' eye infection. He probably has a viral infection because I assume he has tried every type of antibiotic possible. The fact his pinkeye was only spread to one eye was temporary, it is pretty impossible to contain viral pinkeye to one eye. It was only a matter of time before it spread to both eyes. The worst thing about viral pinkeye...it takes a long time to recover from it. I'm talking about at least 5 days, probably a week. Also viral pinkeye, though not painful, does require you to rest your eyes. This is the hardest part. You don't realize how much you rely on your eyes until you can't use them. When I had pinkeye, I just sat on the couch, closed my eyes, and listened to the tv. It was beyond boring.

I'm glad Costas has finally stepped down from his Olympic hosting duties. The next couple of days will probably be super frustrating for him and he has my sympathy. But perhaps with all things that shock us into realizing our vulnerability, he will never take his eyes for granted again. My wish is for everyone (at least those who tuned into Olympics and watched Costas' deteriorating eyes) to take better care of their own eyes. Wear sunglasses whenever you are in direct sunlight. Consume beta-carotene any way possible. And (I'm venturing a guess here) don't open your eyes while showering in foreign countries.

1 comment:

  1. Well put! I feel bad for Bob... I was watching the Today show, and he said that he hoped to be back on the air soon. He also said that he couldn't see very well at all!

    ReplyDelete