Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A tribute to a great San Diego athlete

-Originally written 6/22/2012

You know you must be special when your retirement causes a person to open a blog. I wanted to write a Tomlinson tribute, but didn't really know how. Then it occurred to me that I have various thoughts about San Diego..so maybe I should do a blog about San Diego. I'm starting with the great Chargers athlete LaDainian Tomlinson.

On Monday, LaDainian Tomlinson retired as a San Diego Charger. To many San Diegans his career as a Jet never really existed. He was not very effective as a Jet, so this wasn't hard to do. I've read a couple of things about Tomlinson's retirement the past couple of days. Some of it regarding his nickname. I like football and I'm perfectly aware that LT is Lawrence Taylor. I don't know how the "LT" nickname started (it might have been Tomlinson?), but I'm fine with LDT or even Tomlinson. Let's move on.

During the 2006 season, I was entrenched in graduate school. My life was filled with teaching, experiments, and sleeping. Joy was hard to come by except on Sundays where I watched my beloved Chargers win, win, and win again. I received my first sports jersey that year. a Chargers 21 that I still wear to this day. I definitely took Tomlison for granted. During the great years, there was little doubt that whenever he touched a ball there would be a 40 yard dash or a touchdown. As we all know, greatness is fleeting. I think everyone was surprised by his downward spiral (I'm including his lack of production and his virulence against the Chargers when he was a Jet). Tomlinson needed something/someone to blame for his lack of greatness. The Chargers were an easy target.

I was very surprised to hear that the Chargers were adding Tomlinson to the Chargers roster, so he could retire as a Charger. Surprised, but proud. It was the right thing to do for the Chargers fans which doesn't happen often. (I could go on about how the right thing to do for Chargers fans is to fire Norv Turner*, but that is another blog). I get to wear my Tomlinson jersey knowing he retired as a Chargers player. It is a great feeling, probably because it is something I never expected.

So thanks for the memories Tomlinson, it is a pleasure to forever call you one of our own.

*Since writing this post last year, Norv Turner and A.J. Smith have been fired by the Chargers. Now that is definitely another blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment