Sunday, April 14, 2013

About that fight at Petco Park

If you haven't heard, there was huge brawl at Petco Park last week. Here's a grantland article with video of the fight and a breakdown of it. http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/58194/greinke-vs-quentin-the-official-breakdown

My thoughts with a Padres bias:

-I can't believe there was a fight at Petco Park. However, it does not surprise me at all the game was against The Dodgers.

-I haven't been to Dodger stadium in about 4 years. I've said I would never go back. Now I'm fairly certain I will never go back.

-Vin Scully is a really good baseball announcer. And that's with a Padres bias. The Padres announcers are pretty terrible. Sometimes when I used to watch in San Diego, I would watch without sound. It was that bad.  I actually prefer listening to games on the radio anyways. This fact completely ages me.

-Zach Greinke (Dodger pitcher) broke his collarbone and will out be 6-8 weeks. Carlos Quentin (Padre) was suspended 8 games for rushing the mound and breaking said collarbone. Jerry Hairston Jr. (former Padre, current Dodger) was suspended 1 game for reinstigating the ruckus. Matt Kemp (Dodger and former Rihanna boyfriend) was not suspended, but thrown out of the game since he was extremely vocal during the fight. Matt Kemp confronted Carlos Quentin after the game. They had to be separated by Clayton Richard (Padres pitcher) and security. I actually think Quentin should be suspended at least 10 games. If you watch the video of the fight, Quentin ran up to Greinke wanting to hurt him. Greinke is lucky to only have broken his collarbone. Probably because AJ Ellis (Dodger catcher) tackled Quentin to the ground. It is highly unlikely due to the batting situation, Greinke was trying to hit Quentin. So basically it was just violent stupidity on Quentin's end. There is no place for violent stupidity in any professional sport. Also there are 160 games in baseball. What's is 8 games? Basically, a week...in April.

The Padres and Dodgers meet again starting tomorrow. I have a feeling it will be anti-climatic because you know everything will be blown out of proportion. Either way, should be a fun series. I look forward to listening to it on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment