Sunday, April 21, 2013

Movie trailers: Catching Fire, Star Trek Into Darkness, and Man of Steel

Catching Fire is my favorite book of The Hunger Games trilogy. Despite what I wrote in an earlier post about not watching The Hunger Games movie (see previous post), I did watch it. Not by choice really: one of my friends had a movie gift card. She had already watched The Hunger Games (she probably enjoyed the trilogy as much as I did), thought I should watch the movie too, and pretty much dragged me to the theatre. The Hunger Games (movie) was....not bad. Apparently, my imagination is quite dark. Spoiler Alert: I imagined District 12 to be more slum-like. In the movie, District 12 is quite pretty. Idyllic. Everything in the movie moved slow and was quiet. Katniss (played by now Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence) is portrayed as a strong-resilient teenager. In the book, Katniss is very angry at the world. She lashes out at everyone and everything. Katniss only loves her sister. Of course they would have to change her character slightly for the movie. You do need a likeable heroine for a movie. I just didn't realize how much I adored book Katniss.

Catching Fire (the book) is sort of a mystery. There are things happening that you don't understand at all until the very end. This is why it is a good book. You have to re-read it and re-read it to become aware of everything. However from the Catching Fire trailer (below) it is very apparent what exactly is going on. They made the movie for people who haven't read the book. They changed some things, but the overall theme of the book is the same. Totalitarian government trying to suppress the masses. Rebellion. Katniss still loves her sister though she may also love Gale and/or Peeta. A terrible tragic thing happens at the end (I've already spoiled so much), that I can only imagine it will be shocking to movie-goers. They will all have to read Mockingjay. A quick note about Mockingjay: one of the most depressing books I've ever read. While I've read Catching Fire at least 5X, I've only read Mockingjay twice. Hard to read, but an extremely realistic conclusion.



The Star Trek Into Darkness trailer is so awesome. 5 more weeks!


I have to admit, I'm not a big Superman fan and I don't know why. Mostly because you are either a Batman fan or a Superman fan. Or maybe it is really Bruce Wayne versus Clark Kent. I wasn't so excited for Man of Steel, but the trailer has completely changed my mind. Though the updated Superman suit is distracting. This Superman really does a number on your emotions. You really have to be non-human (pun intended) to not feel anything while watching the trailer.


No comments:

Post a Comment